Saturday, December 3, 2011

Week in Review: Art is complete!

Our last week of instruction before our Advent semi-break is now complete.  Today, Henry finished up his last art lesson from Draw*Write*Now Book 1.  Last week, he drew the Three Bears of Goldilock fame.  Today, he drew the Gingerbread Boy.

After completing the first book in the series, I think we can give it a thumbs up.  The course definitely teaches how to break down a subject into simple shapes, how to plan your drawing, and how to add backgrounds.  I don't think Henry is ready to move to the next book in the series, though.  There are some pretty complex pictures in that one right from the start.  I think we'll stick with the plan of having him revisit some of the pictures from this book, complete more freehand work, and work on his coloring skills with pre-drawn pages.  For the next book, I'm not going to bother with getting the official D*W*N workbook, either.  Regular paper is just fine for this.

Oliver's speech therapy continues to go well.  Next week, he has last appointment under his current referral authorization.  His therapist created his progress report to send to our pediatrician and insurance company and she is requesting approval for additional sessions.  I still haven't heard anything regarding the ABA therapy recommendation from his developmental pediatrician.  We have an appointment with our regular pediatrician in a couple of weeks, so I'll bring it up then.

In the meantime, I just happen to have a good friend who is an ABA therapist!  She recommended purchasing a VB-MAPP set so I can assess Oliver myself and begin some interventions on our own.  This is the same resource her facility uses to assess children and create their plans.  I'm going to hold off on it until after our appointment, but if it looks like the therapy is going to be a no-go, this will be ordered right away so I can begin using it at home.

Jane is walking like a champ.  She's also finally saying "mama" and she's added "thank you," although it sounds more like "day doo."  She only says it when I give her something, though, so I'm pretty sure that's what she means.

No comments:

Post a Comment