Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Over and Out

Our last lesson from Who Am I? is complete.  We've done as much science as we wanted (although we're already looking forward to the next level of lessons).  And Angelicum's annual summer sale began today, so I've ordered Henry's enrollment and lesson plans for preschool.

We are on target for July 11th!

In the meantime, we've been resting on our laurels.  In the wading pool.  One filled with water, not dirt and plants.

What can I say?  Oliver does his own thing in all things.  I should have gotten a picture of the "Warning: Do not let children play in buckets with even an inch of water" sign on the side.  At least they were supervised, right?

The garden is rocking.  Henry and I went out on Monday morning and picked all of this:

Carrots (they're underneath everything else), green onions, sage, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, and calendula blossoms.  I was very busy all day Monday getting everything here washed/chopped/soaked in olive oil/etc. 

Our CSA delivery began last week too, so I've been roasting and pureeing squash and sweet potatoes for Jane, blanching and freezing green beans, and generally doing more with vegetables than I've ever done before. 

And a new bag arrived yesterday!  It's definitely forcing me outside of my culinary comfort zone.  I have an eggplant staring at me every time I open the fridge, daring me to parmagian it.  Maybe tomorrow.

We've really been trying to eat more organic, "whole" food (but not Whole Foods, which certainly earns the nickname "Whole Paycheck").  Some things are harder to find than others.  Both Henry and Oliver love bagels, but the simplest ones cost an arm and a leg. 

So, since I'm outside my comfort zone anyway, I figured we'd try to make some homemade ones today.  The results:

Real, homemade bagels from freshly-ground wheat, honey, coconut oil, and farm eggs (also delivered by our CSA)!  I was really surprised at how easy they are to make.  They taste wonderful, too.  The boys have already devoured two each with cream cheese.  These are definitely going to become a weekly chore.

And speaking of cream cheese, that's next!  We've got a quart of raw milk set on the counter right now to make in to cream cheese and whey.  It should be finished separating tomorrow and then Henry and I are going to strain out the solids and hang them for cream cheese.  Science!

No comments:

Post a Comment