Friday, May 25, 2012

Pentecost: May 27 - June 2, 2012

Henry completed Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Kindergarten Level 2 today.  He was really, really excited to read the final book, "Big Bad Ben," and he did a great job decoding some unfamiliar words.  Now that he's finished with his preschool language arts, we'll focus on just reading until we get closer to his kindergarten start date.  We've got a complete set of BOB books on the shelf with which Henry has become more and more enamored.  He's also completely delighted with two sets of beginning reader books I picked up: Little Bear and Frog and Toad.  We're still reading through our collection of Andrew Lang Fairy books and I also downloaded an mp3 audiobook, Jim Weiss's Fairytale Favorites in Story and Song.  We listen to that sometimes while playing in the playroom.  I'm looking forward to collecting more of those albums.  Jim Weiss is a great storyteller and it's a wonderful way to get more language immersion in, something that benefits all of the kids.

I hit 37 weeks yesterday.  While I'm not ready to serve an eviction notice yet (we'd have childcare issues prior to the 2nd), I'll welcome any progress.  Our supplies are all in house, the tiny clothes have been washed and placed in the drawers, and the infant car seat is ready to be installed.  We visited some good friends last weekend and they sent us home with their almost new bassinet and bouncer, with a swing to follow.  We've put our set through some hard use over the last five years, so the hand-me-downs were much appreciated!  This weekend, I'll get my bag packed and then we'll just be waiting on nature to take its course.

What we're working on this week:

Henry
  • Saxon Math K - lesson 108 (Assessment #13 - Covering designs using tangrams), lesson 109 (Acting out some, some went away stories), and lesson 110 (Placing a tag on a pictograph)
Oliver
  • OT and ST
  • Colors, letters, shapes, and numbers on Starfall.com
Jane
Pentecost is Sunday!  Easter 2012 is coming to a close. We'll make cupcakes to celebrate the Church's birthday and maybe throw in some of these crowns to wear around the table at dinner.  My crafting energy and enthusiasm have diminished as I approach my due date, so I'm not setting the bar too high.  Henry would be satisfied with eating raw cake batter, though, so anything more than that gets his "Best Mom Ever" award.

No comments:

Post a Comment